Friday, February 14, 2014

Beyond Words...

Teaching is not an easy job...

This week was tough at times and several days I wanted to just stay home under the covers, as I am sure everyone can relate.  But I pushed through, and thought to myself, no - there must be a reason.  I am here, so give your best because these kids deserve better.

So when one kid - (a real pain at times)  fell apart crying in my classroom because he was hungry - I was there. I later told myself, it is NOT about me.  It is about them and what they need, that is why I am here. I work all day, doing this, doing that, and constantly pulled in different directions, yet I try to focus on them and what they need and try to help each one I see - and  yet constantly think - I missed this or need more here.

So I try again to give a reluctant reader yet another discarded book, I place books on the shelves and chalk tray to entice this or that subject.  I talk about them, I read them aloud, I use them constantly and watch as the student I show this book or that, puts it down it  again, can be discouraging.  I went on about the fun in poetry and rhyming a slam, or try to.  

So here is my poem of the week:

I hope they notice I was trying to make it fun,
and leave discouraged thinking I reach none..
until I am cleaning off stacks of papers, books
 to clear a spot or maybe a nook.

I find a profound note,
that one of my little ones had wrote
A soon to be,  familiar quote,
from a book that we both wish we had wrote -

"You are so busy being YOU that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented  you are," - John Green
The Fault in Our Stars

Happy Valentines Day
- Ms. K

I have to say - No Thank You beautiful, smart child, because you are the reason I came today!

No comments:

Post a Comment